"Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep." Romans 12:15

Sunday, September 9, 2012

9 Sept 2012

Today we attended Sunday Mass in the local parish.  Even though Mass was said in Amharic/Wolaitanya, we were still able to tell what was going on because Mass is in the same format everywhere! The music was great-there was a children's choir, drums, and lots of clapping. Paula and I hope to learn how to sing in Amharic! After Mass, we met a couple of the Missionary of Charity (Blessed Mother Theresa's order) sisters who work here, in Soddo. At the same time, we quickly became surrounded by curious children. To whom we would say, "Salom" (meaning 'peace' and is used as a common greeting) with a handshake and a smile. We had a teacher meeting this afternoon, at which I learned that I will be teaching Spoken English and Math Tutorial classes for this upcoming school year. I think the students are 1st-6th grade, and the first day of school will be next Monday. We hope to find out more soon. Later in the afternoon each day, many local kids come to play at the Don Bosco School (where we are assigned). Today there were 1,380 kids (well, maybe a couple of adults included in that)! Tomorrow is the Ethiopian New Year's Eve, and then Tuesday will be the New Year (2005 since Ethiopia uses a different calendar). So, we are looking forward to the festivities that will ensue! Goodnight for now.

Peace and Love,
Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment