Today, more playing with the kids (extra today). Sometimes it's a bit intimidating-I stand there completely surrounded by about 15 kids or so, with their full attention on me. So much of the time, I am at a loss...a game, a song, a dance, learning more words, simple questions/answers in English?? Most of the time, I just smile really big, shake their hands, and say "Salam" (sp?). To which, they respond with big smiles and big eyes, "Salam." Every once in awhile, I will feel a little pinch on my arm and look down only to find one of the little children examining a mole on my arm-just one more way that I'm different-hahaha! Over and over they try to teach me the numbers in Amharic, as they use my fingers to count. Let's see how I'm doing, from memory:
1 - "and"
2 - "hulet"
3 - "sost"
4 - "arat"
5 - "amest"
6 - "sedest"
7 - "sabat"
8 - "cement"
...I'm workin' on it :)
Today=triumph! I washed all of my underwear in the sink in my room and created a make-shift clothes line with the string that the boys from Thurs Bible study so kindly gave me. Also, today I successfully hung my mosquito net above my bed.
Once we are finished with all of our play time with the kids for the day (which is always followed by a Rosary they say in Amharic), we have a break before evening prayer and dinner. During our break, Paula and I are becoming accustomed to sitting out on our small balcony. We admire the beautiful sunset while she plays the guitar and we sing and talk about the day. What a gift it is to get a chance to admire God's glory. Ok, I've got to get to bed, morning prayer and Mass come early. Peace and Love.
I thought of you both this morning during morning prayer where it said, "...I will count among those who know me...Ethiopia, these will be her children." Sounds like you have a wonderful balance between active connections (kid time) and soothing reflection (grownup time). All good vibes being sent to you from the whole South Sudan crew!
ReplyDelete